Current:Home > ContactPaula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co -MoneyMentor
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-07 06:26:46
Paula Abdul and Nigel Lythgoe have settled their lawsuit a year after the allegations sent shockwaves through the dance industry.
On Thursday, the "Straight Up" singer filed a notice of settlement for the lawsuit against her fellow former “So You Think You Can Dance” judge Lythgoe, which included allegations of sexual assault and harassment. The terms of the settlement are unknown.
On Dec. 29 of last year, Abdul filed a lawsuit against the former “American Idol” executive producer, alleging that he sexually assaulted her during one of the “initial seasons” of "Idol" — on which she served as a judge for eight seasons starting in 2002 — and again in 2014 when she was judging "SYTYCD."
“I am grateful that this chapter has successfully come to a close and is now something I can now put behind me,” Abdul said in a statement provided to CNN and CBS News.
Abdul continued: "This has been a long and hard-fought personal battle. I hope my experience can serve to inspire other women, facing similar struggles, to overcome their own challenges with dignity and respect, so that they too can turn the page and begin a new chapter of their lives.”
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
USA TODAY has reached out to reps for Abdul and Lythgoe for comment.
Nigel Lythgoe is leaving Fox's'So You Think You Can Dance' amid sexual assault lawsuits
Other allegations against Lythgoe
Days after Abdul filed her lawsuit, two contestants who appeared on the 2003 ABC talent competition show "All American Girl" accused Lythgoe of sexual assault, sexual harassment, and negligence stemming from an alleged attack in May of that year. They filed anonymously, using the names Jane Doe K.G. and Jane Doe K.N.
Lythgoe worked on 'American Idol', 'SYTYCD'
Lythgoe produced “Idol” from 2002 to 2014 and "SYTYCD" from 2005-14.
He was a "SYTYCD" judge from its inception in 2005, but stepped back from the "SYTYCD" judging panel in January, telling USA TODAY in a statement at the time that he "informed the producers of ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ of my decision to step back from participating in this year’s series."
Contributing: KiMi Robinson
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (643)
Related
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- The Decline of Kentucky’s Coal Industry Has Produced Hundreds of Safety and Environmental Violations at Strip Mines
- Pregnant Rihanna, A$AP Rocky and Son RZA Chill Out in Barbados
- YouTuber Grace Helbig Diagnosed With Breast Cancer
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Adidas finally has a plan for its stockpile of Yeezy shoes
- Dealers still sell Hyundais and Kias vulnerable to theft, but insurance is hard to get
- Opinion: The global gold rush puts the Amazon rainforest at greater risk
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- This Foot Mask with 50,000+ 5 Star Reviews on Amazon Will Knock the Dead Skin Right Off Your Feet
Ranking
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Study Identifies Outdoor Air Pollution as the ‘Largest Existential Threat to Human and Planetary Health’
- Elon Musk says 'I've hired a new CEO' for Twitter
- The best picket signs of the Hollywood writers strike
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Why Sarah Jessica Parker Was Upset Over Kim Cattrall's AJLT Cameo News Leak
- SVB, now First Republic: How it all started
- Brittany goes to 'Couples Therapy;' Plus, why Hollywood might strike
Recommendation
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
The best picket signs of the Hollywood writers strike
New report blames airlines for most flight cancellations
A chapter ends for this historic Asian American bookstore, but its story continues
Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
Anthropologie 4th of July Deals: Here’s How To Save 85% On Clothes, Home Decor, and More
Daniel Radcliffe Reveals Sex of His and Erin Darke’s First Baby
Lindsay Lohan's Totally Grool Road to Motherhood
Tags
Like
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- As SpaceX Grows, So Do Complaints From Environmentalists, Indigenous Groups and Brownsville Residents
- Lead Poisonings of Children in Baltimore Are Down, but Lead Contamination Still Poses a Major Threat, a New Report Says